News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: New m0n0 hardware choices?  (Read 2456 times)
« on: August 27, 2007, 19:59:25 »
valnar *

I currently have a WRAP board running either m0n0wall or pfSense.  I go between both.  In either case, the AMD Geode 233Mhz is not fast enough for my needs.  If I run it as a basic firewall, its fine.  But when I add more services, especially 3DES VPN's, the limitation is noticed easily.  I can only get 1.8Mb through a 3DES/MD5 site-to-site VPN.

On the pfSense forums, there is a thread talking about a new Liantec board.  http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,5520

This looks like a great option, if not overkill, for my needs.  (Perhaps the VIA C3 option might be more appropriate.)  The other choice is the new ALIX boards from PC Engines.

My question is:  Does anyone know what kind of performance, both raw firewall throughput and VPN, we can expect from the ALIX boards?  While this is a m0n0wall forum, I also want to mention that I may run the full x86 version of pfSense as well on a Hitachi microdrive instead of a CF card because it would allow for the installation of Snort and Squid, which take some CPU cycles too.  Right now on the WRAP, I don't even try it.

Robert

Pages: [1]