News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Problem (?) with m0n0wall and DynDns  (Read 2899 times)
« on: August 28, 2007, 22:37:07 »
Manp *

hi everyone. i think i should start explaining how my local network is configured.

i have a (crappy) router connected to a DSL line. router's local IP is 192.168.0.1 and it's connected to my m0nowall PC (standard pc image 1.3b4) which has 192.168.0.2 as WAN IP address (configured as static with 192.168.0.1 as gateway).
router is DMZed to 192.168.0.2 (m0n0wall's IP address on the WAN side).

this can't be changed for a whole lot of problems, first of all the fact that the ISP doesn't allow the use of different modems.

on the LAN side m0n0wall is 192.168.1.254 and it serves a dozen of PCs.

now everything works perfectly except for the fact that the DynamicDNS client embedded in m0n0wall fails to update the right IP to my DynDns account.
instead of sending my public IP, m0n0wall sends his IP on the WAN side, which is 192.168.0.2...

basically if i do a nslookup on my dyndns alias i get 192.168.0.2 as the IP address instead of my actual public IP address.

well, maybe this is a stupid question as m0n0wall is probably doing the right thing uploading the WAN IP address (which it thinks is my public IP address). not saying is m0nowall's fault, i just want to know if there's something i can do to get m0n0wall upload my public IP address instead of the private address used on the WAN port.

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. hope i was able to explain the problem. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:04:31 by Manp »
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 08:04:21 »
Manp *

pleeez!  Kiss

Smiley
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:54:08 »
Max2950 ***

You're right, m0n0wall is doing things right.....

Maybe you could try to see if you can bridge your modem ? What is your ISP ? Isn't changin ISP an option ?

I once had such ISP, i found some DynDns clients running under windows which where able to determine the real public IP. I had this running on one of my LAN PCs and worked fine. You just have to make sure that the PC is at least powered on one time/day to have your dynds being updated.....
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 14:09:46 »
Manp *

too bad neither is an option cause i can't change ISP (it's not something under my control) and i need to be able to retrieve the ip even without any PC powered on on the lan. and even so, if there's a power loss or something the router will get a new IP address and it won't be uploaded to dyndns.

it would have been nice if m0n0wall was able to retrieve the actual public ip like the program you mentioned but it's not a big deal anyway, probably in the next few days/weeks i'll get a static ip.

thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 14:11:30 by Manp »
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 06:07:39 »
webfoot_tech *

For what it's worth, I'm having the same problem as well.  Changing ISPs and/or changing to a static IP isn't an option in my area.  I used to run IPCOP (I know, hold back the flames) which has the following option that worked perfectly for people in my situation:

- Guess the real public IP with help of an external server

This option in IPCOP worked great, wish m0n0wall had it, or at least the ability to solve the same problem in another way.

Pages: [1]