News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: A (Possibly) complex setup.  (Read 2314 times)
« on: August 30, 2007, 17:53:13 »
havoc3d *

Ok, let me explain what i'm looking for, then throw in what i'm currently thinking.  Looking for corrections or suggestions if any of this doesn't sound right...this is my first real packet shaping attempt, so maybe i'm shooing too high here.

Wife and i play WoW alot, and use skype for our home phones and voice chat.  Skype for the home phone needs top priority, so i'm planning to give any traffic from the server that runs that a good weight, the only thing it does is run skype, so that should be fine.  For WoW i know gameplay happens on port 3724, so i'm planning to make two queues for that, one for my machine and one for the wife's.  the skype will have the same setup as the WoW.  Torrent traffic i intend to give a queue of its own and give it a low weight.  Everything else i plan to have in a mid-weight queue.

If i'm understanding this right, 1 pipe for up and 1 pipe for down should be fine.

One thing i'm curious about, when i give something a weight, i'm reserving a certain chunk of bandwidth to that something...does this mean nothing else can use that chunk, even when it's not in use?  Right now i'm thinking of having the source be part of the rule...but i've seen the Mask option in the queue itself.  would that be easier to use than specifying the source?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 18:09:22 »
havoc3d *

I found some posts from Dr-D that indicate the weight given to something doesn't reserve that chunk unless it's needed by whatever it's reserved for, so that answers that question. 

Here's my Speculative Config:
Pipes:
1=512kbps  -  upload
2=5120kbps - download
Queues:
1=skypeserver 10 weight to pipe1
2=skypeserver 1 weight to pipe 2
3=mywow 20 weight to pipe 1
4=mywow 2 weight to pipe 2
5=wifewow 20 weight to pipe 1
6=wifewow 2 weight to pipe 2
7=myskype 10 weight to pipe 1
8=myskype 1 weight to pipe 2
9=wifeskype 10 weight to pipe 1
10=wifeskype 1 weight to pipe 2
11=mytorrent 1 weight to pipe 1
12=mytorrent 10 weight to pipe2
13=wifetorrent 1 weight to pipe 1
14=wifetorrent 10 weight to pipe2

rules would be based on port xxxx from source xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to queue xxxx

the weights might need to be tweeked a little bit, depending on how performance ends up, but i'm thinking that should alot enough for everything with enough left for http traffic and such.

Someone who knows more than i do plz let me know what you think.

*EDIT* Apparently it's not really possible to shape skype...it doesn't use any standard ports or anything, so it looks like i'll just be shaping all traffic from the skype server to its own queue and the skypes on the two gaming machines will just have to fend for themselves.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 17:29:47 by havoc3d »

Pages: [1]