News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: physdiskwrite - Vista 64-bit  (Read 9146 times)
« on: February 05, 2009, 18:57:36 »
zmg *

Hello,

I'm trying to write the embedded image to a CF card for use on an ALIX board, but I'm getting a write error when I try to use the physdiskwrite utility on a 64-bit Windows Server 2008.  I read through this similar thread: http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,2073.0.html and actually initially I got the exact same error message:

24576 bytes writtenWrite error after 24576 bytes (8192)

I've tried to remove and replug the CF reader and also formatting the CF card, and now I actually keep getting this error:

Write error after 0 bytes (8192)

I've been able to copy and read files from the card using this operating system, so I assume the card reader is working ok in general.  The card is currently formatted in FAT which is the default, I've also tried formatting NTFS and got the same result.  The card reader is pretty old, maybe 4 years old or so, I don't know if that would affect anything, but I thought I would ask if anyone had any tips before I tried a different card reader? The physdiskwrite app recognizes the CF card/drive correctly, it just errors in the write process.

Thanks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 23:15:52 »
JiveMiguel *

Did you or can you try a different CF card? I had a 16mb cf card that was giving me all sorts of trouble. It was an off-brand and kind of old (obviously, at that size)! I went with a 128mb sandisk and everything worked perfectly.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 00:04:17 »
dolkbg *

Hi!
I have the same problem. Tried different CF cards with same result. But I believe the issue is either related to some policy in Vista or BIOS settings in the computer which prevent me from writing the boot sector. I have tried different utilities including a dd for windows and they all report the same error.

I'm currently using a HP xw4600 Workstation with a built-in CF device. BIOS is upgraded to latest revision.

DolKbg
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 00:27:11 »
JiveMiguel *

I guess the only option is to run the physdiskwrite utility on either a 32-bit OS or windows XP (not Vista).
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 05:54:54 »
knightmb ****

You have run the program in admin mode, even if logged in as admin (yes, silly). I think it's a program option can get up by right-clicking on the program and digging through the options.

Radius Service for m0n0wall Captive Portal - http://amaranthinetech.com

Pages: [1]