News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Rules NOT regarding ports  (Read 3447 times)
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:51:07 »
Cutha *

Hi,

I can not get the port range to work on the traffic shaper rules. Ultimately what I am trying to achieve is make torrent traffic low priority so my wife does not scream at me for facebook being slow when there are downloads in progress. The theory behind it seems simple but I can't seem to get it to only apply to torrent traffic.

For testing I created a limited 100k download pipe and tried to make a rule to funnel torrent traffic through it. I am using port 10999 for my torrents and NAT is already setup and working. The machine I am testing this on has an IP of 192.168.1.228. When I setup the rule to apply to any traffic to .228 the rule funnels it through the correct pipe. However if I add in that I only want the rule to apply to destination traffic on port 10999 the rule does not apply (I can tell cause my torrent speeds way up).

What am I doing wrong? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Hardware, just in case anybody was wondering:
m0n0wall is running on a dual core XP3800+ w/ 2Gigs of RAM (machine was not being used anyway)
-2x DLink 538's for NICs

* m0n0wall rule.JPG (64.7 KB, 552x620 - viewed 405 times.)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:47:21 »
Max2950 ***

Hi,

What is exactly port 10999 ? The incoming port (i.e. download port) or upload port ?
I've never played a lot with torrents but as far as i can remember the only port you can set is the port where other users connect to your PC to grab data, not the ports your torrent software will use to establish downloads.
I had difficulties making shaping emule downloads, i exposed all of my thoughts in an other topic... http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,976.0.html

Maybe this might help...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:52:08 by Max2950 »
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 16:11:36 »
knightmb ****

The traffic shaping can get confusing at time because the source/destination are sometimes tough to figure out exactly. When you look at the default P2P rules, you assume that you'll always need 2 inbound and 2 outbound rules to make it work, but that's not always true.

The firewall states always works best for me when trying to figure out the best way to map a rule.

Radius Service for m0n0wall Captive Portal - http://amaranthinetech.com

Pages: [1]