News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: ADSL bonding  (Read 2608 times)
« on: April 17, 2007, 23:35:17 »
jasonward *

I need some advice.  I want to bond multiple ADSL connections in the following manner.

I want to install a device at a colo centre with a fat pipe.

I want to install another device at our office and hook it up to our 3 ADSL connections.

I then want to have the office device connect to the device at the colo using the 3 ADSL (that's 3 x 8mb up and 3 x 800k down)

I then want the office device to offer to office LAN what appears to be 24mb up and 2.4mb down.

The device at the colo would reconstruct the packets etc and relay/send them over the internet in the normal way.

Hope that makes sense?

Can monowall do this?  Can anything (other than very expensive devices) do this?

Cheers
Jason
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 00:18:40 »
cmb *****

m0n0wall cannot do this.

You should be able to accomplish this using BGP since in your scenario you'll control both ends, but that's waaaay off topic here, you'll find better help on that elsewhere. There are some open source options for BGP routing.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 15:00:20 »
HairyMonster *

I've not tried it (not had the need yet), but here are two possible scenarios - anyone with experience, please pick holes in them:

M0n0 - Draytek 3300V - 3x Draytek 100 - 3x ADSL

M0n0 - Draytek 2910 - Draytek 100 - ADSL
                   |
            Draytek 2910 - Draytek 100 - ADSL
                   |
            Draytek 100
                   |
               ADSL

The 2910 is a dual-wan router/firewall with ethernet on all interfaces, and the 100 is a PPPoE to PPPoA bridge - you might need to substitute with some other ADSL interfacing hardware depending on how it's presented to you. The 100 is very useful in the UK for example.

The 3300V is a quad-wan router/firewall.

I'm pretty sure these can be turned into a pure router solution, but if you're paying for one, you might consider using its features.

List prices are: 100: £49, 2910: £148, 3300V: £339.

BTW, I have no association with Draytek other than buying some of their products.

HM.

HM.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 16:04:28 »
clarknova ***

You can do this with linux. I haven't tried it but I've always wanted to. Start here: http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.loadshare.html. You'll have a lot of reading to do to grok all the concepts there if you haven't been primed on linux routing, but the lartc howto is pretty good.

db

Pages: [1]