News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Secondary IPs on the LAN Interface not Browsing  (Read 2989 times)
« on: January 28, 2010, 00:28:48 »
static *

I've configured a couple of secondary IPs on the LAN interface but traffic from the secondary IPs cant go past m0n0.  Traffic from the LAN IP goes through to the internet but despite weeks of trying I'm unable to figure out what I could be doing wrong.

I've about 30different small networks. ie I've subneted 192.168.0.0 into 30 different subnets and I'd prefer to keep it that way to separate these networks. Its been working fine with fedora but for better bandwidth throttling, I want to migrate to m0n0 or pfsense or any other good bandwidth throttling solution.  I cant use VLANs because the different departments that I'm serving, dont have routers on their end yet I dont want them to see each other.  I cant spend on a switch that supports VLANs; there's simply no budget for it!

I've even tried Pfsense but unfortunately I could only configure one secondary IP on pfsense besides I had to hack it to configure that extra IP.

someone please help.

Please give a step-by-step advise on how to sort out this issue.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 22:51:27 »
brushedmoss ****

the 'secondary ip' functionality is quite limited at the moment, it provides inter-subnet routing on the same interface, but not between interfaces for example (firewall blocks traffic).  It also doesn't NAT secondary ip's, so I would figure this is where your problem lies.

You should be able to go into the NAT section , into Outbound and enable advanced NAT and put in a rule for interface WAN, source 192.168.0.0/16 destination * target * , though I haven't tested this ;-)

Pages: [1]