News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Traffic is slow  (Read 2175 times)
« on: April 30, 2007, 01:10:16 »
bidness *

Hi all,

My setup is as follows:
Cable modem --> monowall --> windows 2k3 domain controller --> linksys wireless router (with dhcp disabled) that I am using as a wired switch/wireless access point.  Traffic on my DC runs at normal speeds, however traffic on my client PCs is extremely slow.  Outgoing pings (to google.com, for example) often timeout, while others take 400+ ms to return.  Any ideas why this might be happening?

Monowall is installed on a Dell Optiplex GX110.
Advanced NAT is enabled
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 01:11:50 »
cmb *****

You make it look like the switch/wireless is plugged into the Windows server, which is plugged into m0n0wall? Is that the case?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 02:08:43 »
bidness *

Sorry about that...my diagram is in the wrong order.  It's actually:
cable modem --> monowall --> switch --> DC

The switch is four ports, and currently plugged in is the second NIC from monowall and the DC.

Also, here in an update:  I was having the problem from my original post for about three hours this afternoon.  I shut down my client PC for about two hours, and when I turned it back on everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your help.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 14:32:34 »
bidness *

UPDATE:

The problem is happening again.  I have figured out when it happens, just not why.  When I am hardwired to the switch (as I was last night) everything works properly, however when I connect wirelessly to the switch, traffic is VERY slow.  DHCP is turned off on the wireless router and it has a static IP.

Please advise.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 14:34:17 by bidness »
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 23:35:38 »
cmb *****

What about when you communicate with wired hosts on your internal network from the wireless? I'm sure you'll see the same issues, maybe less pronounced due to lower latency, from wireless to your internal wired network. I'm assuming it's all on the same subnet.

m0n0wall doesn't know what IP's are wired and which are wireless, they both work the same as far as it is concerned, so I'm pretty confident you have some sort of problem with your wireless.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 19:00:35 »
Ventolin *

a few things to consider...

Personally, I've known linksys routers to lie about thier settings, eg., setting dhcp to disabled....that might not always be the case, i believe that's partially due to lower quality cmos/ram in linksys devices, but...it's just a theory. 

most importantly, if you've isolated the problem to your wireless, it could either be the power of your wireless output, error checking or most likely of all, interference.

microwaves, cell phones, and X11 wireless devices all use the same wireless bands....not to mention cordless phones and wireless speakers (blarf)...so, those could be hammering your wireless depending on your geographic setup.

the first thing I'd do if I were you is check the geographics out, try to get rid as much interference as possible, and then try using a different wireless router or better yet, go get yourself a wireless access point and just plug it into your main switch...

I have a DWL-2100 AP and I love it to pieces.  It's served me quite well and has what appears to be FCC violating reach.  :]  *warning though, it heats up...A LOT...I installed heatsinks(meant for high-end video card ram BGA square chip type) in it and it's doing really well now*

best of luck

Pages: [1]