News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Adding new NIC  (Read 1144 times)
« on: July 29, 2010, 19:50:29 »
pne *

Hi,

I am facing strange problem. I am running 3-legged PC install, v1.231 - WAN, LAN, DMZ. LAN is a small private subnet while in DMZ are public IP's. Now I need to add a new public IP network, because our current public IP range is full and we got another one from ISP. My thought was to add the 4th NIC (exactly same type as others). So I added a new one, rebooted, Monowall has booted up and I have started the network interfaces assignment to add the new NIC. Before that I have written down MAC addresses so that I could choose the right interface, but no success. Interfaces assignment before/after look like this:

interface      before    after
LAN               rl0          rl1
WAN             rl2          rl3
OPT1(DMZ)   rl1          rl2
new              -             rl0

And routing does not work. When I connect another computer via LAN interface, I can ping the monowall's LAN IP, but I cannot get to it's web management to see what is going on - which is strange. I cannot even ping it from DMZ interface. Before I added the new NIC, I could get to web management via both LAN and DMZ.

After some more trying (mostly switching cables to be sure that I am on the right interface) I have given up (I cannot disrupt internet connection for too long), removed new NIC and reverted to backup config - everything is OK, but I need to get it working with 4th NIC.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Petr
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 21:41:26 »
Fred Grayson *****

I'm fairly certain that the interfaces are numbered in the order they are detected during boot. I don't think this is user changeable.

What is preventing you from renumbering everything from scratch using the newly detected interface numbers?

Another problem you will run into with two public networks in the same machine is that there can be only one default route. You will need to come up with whatever routing statements needed to get this working.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 00:09:02 by fredg »

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:18:51 »
pne *

The problem is that I tried to renumber - if renumber is the right word for re-assigning network interfaces. After that, monowall is not accessible...

Regarding the public networks and default route - I plan to have only one network on WAN interface, but two networks (and two NICs) as OPT1 and OPT2. This should not be a problem, or?

Pages: [1]