News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Monowall newbie VLAN woes  (Read 1388 times)
« on: July 31, 2010, 17:11:41 »
Jeroen1000 *

Hi everyone,

Having found out my Draytek router does not support VLAN-trunks, I decided to try Monowall after hearing a lot about it and not really knowing it was so powerful.

My hardware:

- Cisco SLM 2008 smart switch
- Soekris 4801 (1 WAN port, 1 LAN port, 1 OPT port)

Explanation of my issue:

The management interface (VLAN 1) of my Cisco SLM2008 smart switch has become unreachable. Port 1 on the switch has been set to accept tagged frames only, which would imply that it is a trunk port. I believe I have got the theory down so far?

So I deciced to put the OPT 1 port of my Soekris in a VLAN with ID 1. Unfortunately, it still cannot ping the Cisco.  I can't really figure out whether the Soerkis is in fact sending tagged frames. So I decided to put the OPT 1 port in VLAN 2 also. Theory says a normal access port can only belong to 1 VLAN so putting the OPT port in 2 VLAN's at the same time would again imply the port is a trunk.

Anyway, that didn't solve the issue. Can anyone help me figure this out please. I could crawl into the basement (again Angry) and reset the Cisco switch but that doesn't get me closer at making a working trunk.

Cheers,
Jeroen
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 17:15:51 by Jeroen1000 »

Pages: [1]