News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Silly problem with m0n0wall and seperate WLAN  (Read 812 times)
« on: August 16, 2010, 22:46:30 »
patrone *

Hi,

I run m0n0wall 1.32, and haven't configured anything special without setting up the LAN and WAN interface, which is working great. My problem is that i see alot of wierd ARP lookup messages (kernel: arplookup 10.0.0.1 failed: host is not on local network) in the System log after i connected a Wireless Accesspoint into the network.

I will try to explain my setup and what the problem is as good as i can:

m0n0wall with 2 NICs:
* The LAN NIC is connected to a switch, which connects my other PCs, server and mediacenter.
** DHCP is configured to provide 192.168.1.1/24 to these clients.
* The WAN nic is connected directly to my ISP modem

The other day I were going to set up a WLAN in my network. I didn't have a third NIC in my m0n0wall box, so i just connected the wireless accesspoint directly to the LAN switch.

In the System Log, i now see alot of messages going like this:

Code:
  kernel: arplookup 10.0.0.1 failed: host is not on local network
  last message repeated 21 times

The Wireless AP is a DLINK Dir-855, and have two types of interfaces. One "Internett" (WAN) type interface, and 4 LAN interfaces. It is the Internet/WAN interface that i connected to the LAN switch. This interface is configured to receive IP via DHCP, so it gets the IP 192.168.1.150. In the WLAN-setup in the accesspoint, i configured it that the wireless devices (my laptops) gets the IP-adresses 10.0.0.1/24. To connect to the accesspoint (for configuration and management) from the wireless devices, i use the ip 10.0.0.1.

Everything works fine, and i have both full internet connectivity, and connection from the wlan (10.0.0.1/24) to the rest of the LAN (192.168.1.1/24). BUT, in the System log i see a lot of these messages:

Aug 16 21:16:20    kernel: arplookup 10.0.0.1 failed: host is not on local network
  Aug 16 21:29:50    last message repeated 21 times

What seems to be the problem here?

The way I set it up I figured that 10.0.0.1 acts as a NAT-ing device for the wireless clients (10.0.0.1/24), and that the rest of the LAN communicates with the WLAN through 192.168.1.150 (WAN) interface. I dont understand why it needs to mix in the 10.0.0.1 network?

I appreciate any help i can get. Please let me know if I didn't explain good enough, and i will try to make it clearer.

Thanks in advance

Pages: [1]