News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Monitoring m0n0wall via SNMP and OPT1  (Read 2752 times)
« on: November 11, 2010, 00:27:56 »
rickbeaber *

We currently have m0n0wall running on a PC Engines ALIX device with 3 nics.  The WAN is connected to a cable modem, the LAN connected to a switch that connects to all our wireless AP's.  This gives us a separate wireless network from our campus network.  What I'd like to do is to use the 3rd nic (OPT1), connect to our campus network to monitor m0n0wall via SNMP (for bandwidth usage).  Is this possible (to use the OPT1 nic as a "management" connection)? I wouldn't want any data transferred between the two networks (other than SNMP data).

Thanks for any info,

-Rick Beaber
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 19:14:25 »
iridris ***

I don't think there is any direct way to do this; however, you should be able to use the 'exec.php' page to manually bind SNMP (and syslog if you want) to a specific interface.  This doesn't seem all that practical as you'd have to do this every boot.

You may also be able to do this with firewall rules (i.e. only allow connections to SNMP from the OTP1 subnet).
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 22:29:08 »
gus *

I allow a different network (vlan, not physical interface) to access the SNMP from my m0n0, just needed to add a firewall rule.  Screen shot of rule is attached.

* snmp.JPG (6.28 KB, 567x49 - viewed 265 times.)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 01:18:45 »
rickbeaber *

I'll give this a try.  Thank you both.

-Rick

Pages: [1]