News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1] 2
Topic: Xbox 360 live through Monowall  (Read 20058 times)
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:23:31 »
getafix *

Hi there

I haven't as of yet installed Monowall, but would like to do some investigating before trying it out.

I am currently runnig Censornet (CN) and want to use it mainly as a proxy and use Monowall as my firewall.
Is it possible to get my Xbox360 to access Live through Monowall? I have tried setting it up through CN, but with no luck. From what I can see is that I have opened up the necessary ports, but it's possible CN is not able to do what I want.
Also, I am running Media Centre 2005 and also want to be able to stream from my MCE to the Xbox360, but that will only be over the LAN.

I know that I can set CN as a bridge and forward all traffic, barring HTTP, to Monowall.

I searched this site for info on the Xbox, but found nothing that is to helpful for this particular situation.

Any help would be appreicated.

Regards
Gareth
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 18:28:00 »
kurrier *

You should be able to do what you want through m0n0wall no problem. I don't have much experience with CN, but do you currently have another router in front of that proxy? I don't really see the sense of using that proxy if you wanted to use m0n0wall to deal with traffic. But if you wanted to use m0n0wall you could set rules to open up desired ports then port forward all those ports directly to your Xbox. You just may have to set the Xbox as static within it, or through MAC-address via using simple DHCP server with m0n0wall.

You would have to make Firewall Rule and NAT: (inbound) for the following ports:

Xbox Live 360:
                 3074  tcp/udp
                 88      udp

Media Center:
                 3390  tcp
                 3932  tcp
                 5555  tcp
                 1900  udp
                 3776  udp
                 7777  udp

For each rule you make, point directly to the Xbox's set ip [eg. 192.168.1.5 ] as the destination including the specific port. Now if done correctly; the router will allow all source ips in and contact the Xbox and vice versa.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 14:01:17 »
cattlebaron *

I have no experience with CN but my Xbox360 connects to XboxLive and works fine with m0n0wall at its default rules.  I haven't had any performance issues as compared to my old Linksys router/firewall.  If you decide to give m0n0wall a try post here with any problems and I will try to replicate or figure them out with you.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 16:48:13 »
getafix *

Thanks mate

I started installing M0n0wall today. Unfortunately, time in the evenings is very limited between been couped up in a room fiddling on IT stuff and spending quality time with my family. A 7 month preggy mom and a 4 year old with a snotty nose demand a certain amount of attention. Not that I am complaining, they are definately worth it.  Grin

Cheers
Gareth
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 01:34:46 »
cattlebaron *

Enjoy both while you can!  Mine is now 7yrs old going on 15 Grin  And the wife just started back to college and we meet once in a while in the hall Tongue

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 09:01:14 »
getafix *

Is that what they call passage sex?  Wink
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 21:45:28 »
milldakill *

I have no experience with CN but my Xbox360 connects to XboxLive and works fine with m0n0wall at its default rules.  I haven't had any performance issues as compared to my old Linksys router/firewall.  If you decide to give m0n0wall a try post here with any problems and I will try to replicate or figure them out with you.

I have now tried monowall 1.232 and 1.3b7 and when I run the Xbox Live network test I am also getting a NAT status of "Moderate".  Are you getting "Open" on the test?  For the most part my xbox live works, but some features such as private chat only seem to work some of the time.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 13:04:13 »
infinityloop *

I have now tried monowall 1.232 and 1.3b7 and when I run the Xbox Live network test I am also getting a NAT status of "Moderate".  Are you getting "Open" on the test?  For the most part my xbox live works, but some features such as private chat only seem to work some of the time.
i have EXACTLY the same issue!

all ports are set to be forwarded (+ firewallrule creation selected).
but during the test i do not get "open", it says moderate.

the problem i have is that the Xbox Live marketstore is awfully slow and Xbox support said that this is because of "moderate".

PLEASE anyone knows why its not "open" even when you set the nat/firewall rules correctly? Smiley
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 08:24:33 »
infinityloop *

i switched to pfsense (which is a monowall fork) last weekend.
pfsense DOES have upnp support, so getting the XBOX360 to NAT = open was no issue at all.

based on the UPNP log, there is one additional port you need to forward, which not even M$ Support tells you.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 15:29:35 »
ChainSaw

pfsense DOES have upnp support, so getting the XBOX360 to NAT = open was no issue at all.

based on the UPNP log, there is one additional port you need to forward, which not even M$ Support tells you.

can you give us a list of the required ports?

CS...
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 17:57:39 »
Tismo *

Here's what I did to get it from "Moderate" to "Open":

1.  Create a reservation in my DHCP server for my Xbox 360 so that it always gets the same IP address.  You could also set a static IP on the Xbox if that is your preference.

2.  In m0n0wall, check the box "Enable advanced outbound NAT" on the Outbound NAT configuration tab.

3.  Setup a mapping for your local LAN subnet.  Interface should be WAN, source should be your subnet address (for example, my subnet is 192.168.0.0/24), target should be left blank and leave "Disable port mapping" unchecked.

4.  Setup a mapping for your Xbox 360.  Interface should be WAN, source should be the IP address assigned to the Xbox in Step 1 with a 32 bit mask (for example, 192.168.0.100/32), target should be left blank and this time check the box for "Disable port mapping".

5.  Save and apply these changes.

6.  Configure Inbound NAT and create a mapping for TCP/UDP 3074.  Interface should be WAN, External address should be Interface address, Protocol should be TCP/UDP, External port range should be 3074 to 3074, NAT IP should be the IP address of the Xbox assigned in Step 1, Local port should be 3074.  Check the box to "Auto-add a firewall rule to permit traffic through this NAT rule."

7.  Save and apply these changes.

8.  Reset the NAT and Firewall state.

Now when you run the Xbox live test, it should come back as "Open".

NOTE:  The above steps were based on the 1.3b11 version of m0n0wall.  I haven't used any of the previous versions, so the steps may vary from version to version.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 07:31:07 »
infinityloop *

can you give us a list of the required ports?

CS...
sadly not because its not always the same port. so you need to use upnp Sad
and i have to admit that i am very happy with the monowall forke -> pfsense which includes an upnp client. Smiley
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 23:42:23 »
ezkim0x *

1.  Create a reservation in my DHCP server for my Xbox 360 so that it always gets the same IP address.  You could also set a static IP on the Xbox if that is your preference.

2.  In m0n0wall, check the box "Enable advanced outbound NAT" on the Outbound NAT configuration tab.

3.  Setup a mapping for your local LAN subnet.  Interface should be WAN, source should be your subnet address (for example, my subnet is 192.168.0.0/24), target should be left blank and leave "Disable port mapping" unchecked.

4.  Setup a mapping for your Xbox 360.  Interface should be WAN, source should be the IP address assigned to the Xbox in Step 1 with a 32 bit mask (for example, 192.168.0.100/32), target should be left blank and this time check the box for "Disable port mapping".

6.  Configure Inbound NAT and create a mapping for TCP/UDP 3074.  Interface should be WAN, External address should be Interface address, Protocol should be TCP/UDP, External port range should be 3074 to 3074, NAT IP should be the IP address of the Xbox assigned in Step 1, Local port should be 3074.  Check the box to "Auto-add a firewall rule to permit traffic through this NAT rule."

NOTE:  The above steps were based on the 1.3b11 version of m0n0wall.  I haven't used any of the previous versions, so the steps may vary from version to version.

worked for me..

can you explain what it's doing exactly?.. risks/etc of doing this
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 08:32:35 »
munkyboy *

zomg, I've been struggling to get xbox live to work with m0n0wall for so long and I finally ran across your post. It works beautifully now. thank you!
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 19:03:31 »
traxxus *

GREAT!  Cool

This is the one and only tutorial on whole internet to get work m0n0wall and XBOX360 without problem.

Smiley Smiley

Pages: [1] 2