News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: editing backup  (Read 1251 times)
« on: April 09, 2011, 08:46:19 »
onley *

Hi,

I'm just getting started with m0n0wall, I have install the generic version on an old pc and it works great.

My question is regarding the backup files. I have setup a second box so that if I have a problem with the router I can swap with a backup box. Unfortunately I don't have 8 of the same nic lying around so the two boxes don't have the same cards.

In looking at the backup file I see that it would be rather simple to edit the interface info so that I would then have a boxA and a boxB copy so that all rules and settings could be kept synced to the currently running box by a simple backup and restore. Am I missing something that is going to bite me later or would simply editing the interface section of the backup from say rl0 to de0 give me a valid config for the second box.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:03 »
rpsmith ***

that should work fine. I use windows Wordpad to edit my config files.

Roy...
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 02:05:56 »
onley *

Thanks, It just seems too simple but it works. I just didn't know if I was bypassing something that was going to bite me later.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 02:15:42 »
Fred Grayson *****

A nice free XML editor is XMLMarker. Worth a look.

http://download.cnet.com/XML-Marker/3000-7241_4-10202365.html

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:07:30 »
onley *

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I don't have a windows box here. Actually adjusting the config file is not an issue. I have a simple perl script that downloads the config file and figures out which router is running, A or B, then does a substitution for the interface name. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to paint myself into a corner by changing the interface name in here and not in some other critical place.

Like I said, it just seems too easy. I think I'm going to like m0nowall.

Pages: [1]