News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Web traffic stalls with upstream proxy  (Read 1992 times)
« on: May 16, 2011, 18:52:26 »
mjwmott *

I have been using m0n0wall for years with great success. I am now experiencing a strange issue with a client using a local ISP.

The clients network has mostly MS windows 7 Pro systems, a handful of Macs (OSX 10.6) and my Ubuntu (Currently 11.04) notebook. Although the Win7 systems appear to have no issues at all, the Macs, as well as my Ubuntu system, experience seemingly random delays, even stalls, with web traffic. Every other service/protocol works perfectly. These delays/stalls only occur when behind m0n0wall (currently 1.33).

The ISP uses Squid configured transparently upstream. They have been very good during the troubleshooting process. They have turned off proxy services temporarily which seemed to fix the issue as well as supplied a secondary proxy (Ziproxy) that browsers can be configured to use. The secondary proxy, configured to boost dial-up speeds, seems to work perfectly and is the current fix. Leaving the proxy service disabled does not seem to be an option.

The hardware is nothing to brag about but basic troubleshooting seems to rule it out. All the rules are simple. Traffic shaping does not seem to matter. I have even swapped in a secondary system with the most basic of configuration with the same result.

So to sum up, *nix based systems, behind m0n0wall with an ISP using a transparent Squid proxy, experience web traffic delays/stalls.

I can provide additional details as required. I appreciate any insight.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 00:20:13 »
brushedmoss ****

Hi mjwmott,

I know this was posted a while ago, but I came across poor performance when using osx through m0n0wall to certain sites only.  

I turned off rfc 1323 in osx, and seemed to clear the problem.

Code:
sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0

this setting will be lost on reboot of osx, and won't affect existing tcp streams.

I'd be interested if this helps with you problem ?

Thanks

Pages: [1]