News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Problem installing hard disk  (Read 2129 times)
« on: May 23, 2011, 22:17:43 »
derwolber

Hello altogether,

I think I did a great mistake. I tried to install Monowall on a usb-stick via physdiskwrite. but anyhow, now I did install it on the hard drive with the operating system...
When I boot up from the hard drive, the normal monowall command screen is shown.

I tried to plug in the sata hard drive into another pc. Both BIOS and driver manager do recognize the seagate-hard drive. driver manager shows the hard drive with 24MB used and the other 232 GB unallocated. (?)
Is there any way to restore the previous windows xp prof. OS - or to delete the boot loader from monowall?
Just restoring the data would be perfect enough!

Best regards and thanks for your fast help
mad ben
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 22:25:31 »
Omerik *

Ontrack easy recovery professional.
http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/recovery-software/

It's long, it's costy, but works.
Happen to me.

There's no a second possibility to make a good first impression.

Euro Buchberger
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 22:55:03 »
derwolber

Thanks for your reply.
I now did choose an other Way: First, i used testdisk to restore the Partitiontable. By doing this i could regain 2 of 3 partitions. I use a external sata to usb adapter to get access to the hdd.
The Partition Left is the One with the OS (Win xp sp3). The windows Driver Manager Shows the Left 50 GB Space as unallocated.
So, trying again testdisk, but could Not find the Third Partition. After trying some other tools im now trying "get back Data for nfts" (also available for Fat).
Atm 33% and 4 hours Left. Recommendation for any other Users: don't use USB! ;-)
But the Programme did find a Lot of Files in sectors 1 to 100000000, what Looks like the first 100 GB of the hdd (Not too much fragmentation assumed).

Will keep you up to Date with my (hopefully) Coming success with restoring the Partition or at least the files.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:31:39 »
derwolber

Wow - I can't believe it. After searching for 4 hours gdb for ntfs could find the whole partition and the entire data! Now I will restore them to a external hdd, Format the source hdd, Set up New windows and migrate the old Data.

Pages: [1]