News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: turn an eep into a router - is monowall for me?  (Read 1670 times)
« on: June 23, 2011, 00:52:36 »
cronis *

I have an eeepc 700 that is collecting dust and I'm thinking on turning it into a wireless router. WPA is kind of a requirement.

I'm looking for the easiest/quickest way of doing just that. By easiest I mean with less effort, not with the least technical knowledge requirements.

Acording on this
http://doc.m0n0.ch/quickstartpc/setup-installing.html
Installation is as simple as dumping an image into the hard drive with dd, one command. Is it really that simple?

Does anyone knows if eeepc wireless hardware is supported out of the box? It's an atheros chip, it's rather common AFAIK.

Does monowall comes with wpa support?

I might want to run a torrent client in it but that is not a main concern at all, if I can't do that for whatever reason I don't really mind. My main goal is having a router with WPA security.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 21:48:59 »
iridris ***

Without knowing the specific hardware properties (mainly the network cards) it's hard to give a definite answer, but more than likely you can. If you want to test it, you can load m0n0wall onto a USB drive and boot from that. That way, you won't wipe out your hard drive.

The same command you use for the hard drive should be able to write to the USB drive, just pick the appropriate drive path.

I believe m0n0wall does support WPA.

You won't be able to run a torrent client inside m0n0wall - if that's what you meant.

Pages: [1]