News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Traffic Graph Question  (Read 1273 times)
« on: July 11, 2011, 00:09:01 »
waliers *

Hi All,

I've been using M0n0wall quite a while know (Now it's 1.33 on an Alix Platform) but today I've noticed something strange (I think)

I started copying large proportions of data today (server crash) from my server to my NAS (about 172 GB) and I see that on the traffic graph it shows 25 Mbit in on WAN and 25 Mbit out on LAN.

I've read on an other post that every packet that goes "out" on the WAN interface will have first come "in" on the LAN interface (from m0n0wall's point of view). however my data copy on the lan has nothing to do with WAN.

Even more when I disconnect the WAN interface (unplug cable) the copy keeps going (at same speed) but the traffic graph shows 3~8 Kb in/out on both LAN and WAN. (which is normal) And when I plug in the WAN interface it's goes to ~25 Mbit in WAN and ~25 Mbit out LAN.

Is there some reason for this graph look of M0n0wall or did I misconfigure something? The setup is: Modem > WAN and LAN > SWITCH > Devices  ...  the OPT is not used. Just a 8 port switch. and nothing fancy!

The installation is as default as possible and I get the M0n0wall as Gateway and DNS on my ipconfig and ifconfig (windows 7 and FreeBSD)

Maybe it's something simple and it's not bothering me as the data usage isn't counted towards my FUP of the ISP it's just something I want to know "why does it happen". Or maybe the ISP is watching my lan through m0n0wall  Grin Shocked

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed!

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 18:37:18 »
iridris ***

I can't really explain why you're seeing the 25Mb on the traffic graph. Since you're copying everything over a switch, the m0n0wall shouldn't be seeing any of the traffic (which seems to be the case when you unplug the WAN).

How fast is your WAN connection? If it is less than 25Mbps than I really confused, but if it is 25Mbps than it appears that some part of the copy is possibly trying to go to a public address.

Pages: [1]