News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Using saved configuration on other hw-platform?  (Read 2020 times)
« on: July 25, 2011, 17:53:59 »
stha *

Hi all.
i'm running m0n0 1.33 on an old PC with 2 nics and a flachcard. normal router funtionality.
It crashes sometimes and i just bought a ALIX2d19 with 3 nics. i will just use the two.

My question: After initial installation and configuration of m0n0 (still ver. 1.33) on the new ALIX, can i then restore the configurationfile from the PC-m0n0 to get all my special config back?  i'm thinking of Trafficshaping, DHCP-settings, WAN/LAN-settings ect.
For is the HW to different for this to work?

hope you can help.
regards
sthh Grin
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 18:25:51 »
Fred Grayson *****

Unless the ethernet port driver type is the same across both platforms, which is unlikely, you'll want to edit the configuration file to correct this before uploading it. If you don't, the device will be unreachable via the network once it reboots, and you will have to reset the interface ports via the console.

As for the rest of the configuration, you might get lucky. Look thru the system logs for any errors.

Good luck.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 18:40:06 »
stha *

Hi fredg
Thanks for your quick reply.
I found this : http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,176.0.html

It seems that you're right. At least the interface-names has to be edited.
I Will try as soon i receive the new ALIX.

I hope the problems with random crashes disappears with new HW.
With the PC-mono, the Dhcp-server on the LAN-side stops working after some days/weeks and a reboot of the m0n0 is the only solution. And sometimes the PC-m0n0 just reboots itselfs.

Thanks again.
Stha

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 05:05:52 »
Fred Grayson *****

I've had my old PC m0n0wall reboot all by itself, but only when using certain ethernet adapters in it.

It would spontaneously reboot every few minutes with supposedly better Intel and 3Com NICS in it.

Using the supposedly poor Realtec NICs, it would stay up forever. Go figure :-0

I was never able to explain this beyond saying it was a hardware combination problem. Before it rebooted itself there was never anything unusual written to the logs or to the console.

My current v 1.33 machine has also been very stable. But if I run the latest 1.8 beta versions of m0n0wall it locks up solid with no explanation within minutes of booting.

ALIX hardware has a very long history of excellence. I'd be very surprised if you have problems with it.

Good luck and enjoy.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 13:44:04 »
stha *

hi all.
just to report back. the only thing that has to be edited in the old configfile is the interfacenames. and then also add interface #3 as the new alix has 3 nics and the old pc only had 2.
then the new alix will boot up with no errors and all old configsettings are restored.
now only time will tell about stability.

thanks again for help.
regards sthh
 Smiley

Pages: [1]