News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Cannot Reach The Internet W/ FTTH  (Read 876 times)
« on: July 28, 2011, 23:13:09 »
Killabytes.ca *

Hey folks,

I've been running m0n0wall for years now using my local cable company's service. I haven't had any major issues or complications. I had to use my Cable Company's modem of course. Well today I switched to FTTH(Fibre to the House); now they force you to use their router combo unit. Obviously that won't do. The setup is fairly straight forward. I have the ONT(Optical Network Terminal) inside my home and it connects directly via cat5e to their router. This is where it gets sneaky of them. I've been reading up on other users that have used m0n0wall or pfSense and tossed the router into the closet. It seems I need to spoof the MAC and even setup a VLAN, 35, to be able to get m0n0wall an IP address from their DHCP.

Skipping ahead to the issue. I've done all that. I've spoofed the MAC and I think I setup a VLAN(?). I went into interface assign and set up the VLAN on DC01 then went back to interfaces and chose VLAN 35 for my WAN....was this correct? Their DHCP gave m0n0wall a valid IP, YAY!, but I have no internet access! I cannot ping, trace or even lookup hostnames. No traffic is passing through. Did I skip a step here when making a VLAN? Do I need to bridge, route or somehow make a rule?

Here is a link to the original discussion.

Cry

Pages: [1]