News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Edit config.xml to turn off auto negotiation?  (Read 3612 times)
« on: April 13, 2012, 21:50:36 »
HalaciousDude *

Hello,
       My company was just able to get fiber installed from Comcast, getting us a 25MB connection.  However, the problem I'm running into is that they require the WAN port of my Soekris net5501 to be set to 100MB full-duplex no-auto.  Unfortunately there isn't any way to do this through the M0n0wall gui.  However, after doing some digging I found this http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-hiddenopts.html that says I should be able to download my config file, and edit it to force my WAN to a specific media type.  However it also says I need to "Refer to the appropriate FreeBSD manpage for the driver you're using" to know what option I need to put in there.  Does anyone know how to find the FreeBSD manpage for the NIC drivers used on Soekris boxes? 

Thanks,
-Hal
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 22:55:43 »
Fred Grayson *****

How is the interface identified in either the WebGUI Interfaces: Assign network ports, or on the console?

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 23:27:19 »
HalaciousDude *

From the interfaces(assign) window via the gui, it's listed as:

vr1(VIA VT6105M Rhine III 10/100BaseTX, xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 00:08:13 »
Fred Grayson *****

Then you would google:

FreeBSD man page vr

which leads to:

http://www.unix.com/man-page/FreeBSD/4/vr/

This may not be the man page for the version of FreeBSD your m0n0wall is built on, but it would be a good start.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 03:42:03 »
rpsmith ***

I had the same problem (today) so I called Comcast Support  (1-800-741-4141) and they had a network engineer call me back and he set his interface to Auto.  My WAN interface now shows "100baseTX <full-duplex>" and everything is running great now.

Roy...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 18:35:08 »
HalaciousDude *

Interesting Roy,

When the Comcast engineer set mine to Auto, it helped but didn't completely fix the problem, i.e. my speed went from 4MB up/4MB down to 17MB up/13MB down.   When I connect my laptop directly with auto negotiate turned on on the laptop NIC, I get the same performance.  However, when I hook the laptop up directly with auto negotiate off hard coded to 100MB full and the Comcast Siena box set the same, I get a little more than 24MB up/24MB down.

BTW, I also sent in the same question to Soekris support and they responded with:

>Hi Hal
>
>The m0n0wall beta series has support for the "em" driver:
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=em&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html

However, I'm not running the beta version of M0n0wall, so I'm gonna try the variables this man page suggests, but not sure it will work.

Thanks for the responses,
-Hal
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 03:06:31 »
rpsmith ***

I'm also using a net5501 and running 1.33 embedded and get a solid 50-mbits up and down after Comcast changed their switch to auto.  Also, I'm using speedtest.comcast.net to check my speed.

Roy...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:08:12 by rpsmith »
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 21:01:12 »
HalaciousDude *

Hi Roy,
     Sounds like we have almost identical setups, other than the fact that I have a 25MB circuit from Comcast.  Do you have a Siena box delivering ethernet to your M0n0wall too?

In any case, I got it to work, by downloading and editing the config file, adding 100baseTX to the mediatype and full-duplex to the mediaopts section of the WAN interface, saving and uploading back to the M0n0wall.  Thanks to all for their help!

-Hal
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 23:41:43 »
rpsmith ***

yes, I also have a Siena box.

Roy...

Pages: [1]