News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: VM based "self defense", your thoughts?  (Read 934 times)
« on: September 21, 2012, 17:29:32 »
morthawt *

Here is what I am doing because at present I have no extra hardware.

I have a wireless cable modem/router that I hate but am forced to use. I have one network card in my host PC. I have a vmware workstation running two copies of m0n0wall. First VM has a bridged (real network card access) adapter and a "host only" adapter that I added on top of the one that is already there by default. Then the second VM has  its wan as that same host only previously mentioned and its lan is the default host only adapter VMware comes with.

On my host pc I have disabled all protocols of communication of any kind except the needed vmware bridge that remains ticked. So basically my real connection to reality has no protocols which in my opinion (could be wrong please correct me) makes it save from attack since how can someone break into something that has no way of communication.
Then the host only network on the outside firewall has the same treatment on my host pc as the real card so it has no communication. The last host only card on my host pc (the one connected to the inside m0n0wall) has its ip/dns/gateway all set accordingly.

Everything works smoothly and in order to gain contact with my real pc from outside, the communication must go through both m0n0wall's because my real network card has no protocols enabled, same with the first host only card.

Am I correct that this "logical" isolation should provide me pretty much the same as it would a "physical" isolation? I mean, if there are no protocols enabled on my main network card nobody should be able to do anything since there is no "way inside" ?

I am mainly doing this just because I can, but would like you're input on the security implications/benefits of this setup, based entirely on the same PC aside from the physical router which DMZ everything to the first m0n0wall with appropriate port forwarding through both m0n0 to my pc.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 19:06:34 »
chris.lee *

Probably your current setup is "over-engineered" with running 2
m0n0wall + issues on Double-NAT & DMZ In Consumer Routers.

If possible, see whether you can configure your wireless cable modem/router to bridge rather then "DMZ" to m0n0wall. This mean m0n0wall will get WAN IP and also making full use of its firewall & other++ capability.

Pics speak a 1000 words @ Gallery :  Smiley

As inspired from http://m0n0.ch/wall/gallery/9.jpg ,here is my setup http://m0n0.ch/wall/gallery/315.jpg .

My WinXP HostPC have 2 NICs, running vmware player v3 :
- vmnet0 (NIC1) = bridged to wan (cable modem) + disabled all protocols except vmware bridge
- vmnet1 (NIC2) = bridged to LAN ( physical switch)

Cheers,
Chris.lee

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 19:14:04 by chris.lee »

Pages: [1]