News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Is MonoWall Dead?  (Read 4507 times)
« on: October 03, 2012, 13:39:04 »
epsilon6 *

I was wondering if the Monowall project is dead?  I haven't seen any updates in over a year, but the website and everything is still alive and active. 
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 17:09:26 »
Fred Grayson *****

Development of the 1.8 version continues and there have been 35 updates to it in 2012.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 19:08:44 »
matguy *

Well, even if it actually had stalled in development (which it hasn't), that still wouldn't especially make it dead.  It's a fairly robust firewall and as long as there aren't any showstopper bugs or exploits, why not continue using it?  I never liked the term "obsolete", it's a frame of mind.  If it works well, use it.

I'm still running 1.21 at home, there hasn't been anything in subsequent versions I really worried about for myself.  At an old job I should have ran a newer version so I could keep the config on a USB key rather than a floppy in a system I couldn't simply put a CF card in (Dell server with SCSI drives I didn't trust, boot from cd), but we rarely rebooted it, so it was fine.  We were just using it for simple captive portal for Guest Wireless with a static password, worked fine.

It routes my cable connection well on an old Dell Optiplex GX100 (Celeron 400, 128MB of ram.)  I have a whole bunch of ports mapped to individual systems in the house and I move a lot of data, no issues (surprisingly I haven't overloaded the state table.)  I could move to a different router installation that might be a bit quicker on the updates and a bit more feature-full, but I'd have to chase down some old SDRAM for my hardware, or "newer" hardware all together.  Naw.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 14:26:19 »
shawngiese *

Protects my home 24/7.  What would you like to see changed or added?
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 00:21:57 »
Јаневски ***

Looks pretty alive to me.

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 09:06:21 »
rpsmith ***

not dead but for sure on life support with the family gathering around the bed.   Sad

but I'll keep using it until something better comes along.

Roy...
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 14:35:28 »
Lennart Grahl ***

One can't deny that development has been a bit slow over the last few years.

But that doesn't mean it has to stay that way forever. There are just other things occupying the developers minds at the time.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 23:59:27 »
brushedmoss ****

I'm not dead  Shocked

MK is not dead either, he just updated 1.8 to be freebsd 8.3 based !

Don't expect major new features from me, but do expect it to stay current with ipv6 support improving and bug fixes too.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 01:17:58 »
chris.lee *

Well if u r feel bored & itchy (occasionally i do!), can try out pfSense , a distant cousin in steroid Smiley
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:05:15 »
rpsmith ***

I'm not dead  Shocked

MK is not dead either, he just updated 1.8 to be freebsd 8.3 based !

Don't expect major new features from me, but do expect it to stay current with ipv6 support improving and bug fixes too.

Well that's great news!  m0n0wall does most everything I need a firewall to do so new features are not a high priority for me but current freebsd and security updates are a must.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Roy...
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:44 »
rpsmith ***

Well if u r feel bored & itchy (occasionally i do!), can try out pfSense , a distant cousin in steroid Smiley

Way overkill for me and way too many options some of which are confusing.  Also, PPTP is a must for me and pfsense has some limitations that m0n0wall doesn't.

Roy...
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 15:47:51 »
Piper *

I just spotted the update that 1.8 is now going to be 8.3 based. Great! Looking forward to the 1.8 release.
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 23:05:26 »
matguy *

Way overkill for me and way too many options some of which are confusing.  Also, PPTP is a must for me and pfsense has some limitations that m0n0wall doesn't.

Roy...
Also, the hardware requirements for pfSense are much higher.  m0n0 is pretty lean.

Pages: [1]