News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Finally got Fiber internet but OMG can't get it to work with Monowall  (Read 1439 times)
« on: October 31, 2012, 21:27:27 »
xrmarcis *

So i have spent the last 2 days trying to figure out how to get my lan to talk to my vlan wan connection.

I have the wan spoofed with the mac for the modem that was installed.

Create a vlan35 and assigned it to my wan interface.

VLAN WAN has a valid IP from the fiber provider but i'm unable to ping out from inside monowall with the ping tool.

Am i missing something?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 21:47:39 »
Јаневски ***

Share some more info about the type of connection You have (static IP, DHCP, PPPoE...), also You could post an anonymized sample of Your m0n0 config.

If it's a static IP and You got everything else set up maybe You're forgetting to add a default gateway routing rule.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 21:49:58 by Јаневски »

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 20:19:11 »
matguy *

Why would your fiber provider have you connect to a VLAN on the WAN side?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 21:07:33 »
Јаневски ***

Why would your fiber provider have you connect to a VLAN on the WAN side?
I've noticed that too with optical home network ISP, they are defining VLAN tag and then they ship a locked preconfigured and rebranded bridge or router device that talks to the optical network ISP only with VLAN tagged frames.

Optical data links that are in plain normal access mode VLAN i've seen mostly through business packages.

I have another suggestion, something that came to mind, maybe the m0n0 WAN NIC doesn't allow VLAN tagged frames, that might be the problem, check it with packet sniffing system, or just try another NIC.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 00:30:52 »
matguy *

Interesting, good to know.

Pages: [1]