News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Bridged interface not being firewalled  (Read 1212 times)
« on: November 05, 2012, 19:21:31 »
Atomjax *

I set up my opt interface to bridge with my wan interface. It says to enable filtering you must go to advanced settings and enable it. In the advanced settings it says it is not longer available. I was able to setup a host on the opt interface an the bridging did work. However none of the ports were being firewalled. I even tried to setup a rule on the opt interface to block everything and it still didn't work. How can I enable the firewall for the bridged interface?

Thanks

J
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 21:27:36 »
Fred Grayson *****

Please post all your Firewall rules for all interfaces.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 22:50:37 »
Atomjax *

Well I think I might have figured it out. I wasn't able to get you the configs because I am pretty sure I created a bridge loop and it was killing my server. All the switching was done virtually on a vmware ESX server. I added the opt switch to the same nic as the WAN switch without any VLANs. Hence the firewall was probably being bypassed. This also brought my servers network down.

I only have 1 nic that I can use. So in ESX I am going to keep the WAN network with that NIC. Then I going to create two separate virtual networks that are on their own. One for LAN and one for OPT.

Does that sound about right? Anything I missed?

I have a attached a picture of how the network will be built.

Thanks

J

* monoesxconfig.jpg (47.82 KB, 732x550 - viewed 200 times.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 22:54:36 by Atomjax »
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 22:58:52 »
Fred Grayson *****

Sorry but I have no experience running m0n0wall in a virtual environment for a production environment. My only suggestion is that if it appears to work as you wish, pen test it to verify that unwanted traffic is really being blocked.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 17:58:42 »
Atomjax *

Can anyone else that might use this with Vmware validate my plan?
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 22:04:37 »
Atomjax *

Well I implemented my plan. I can ping the WAN IP but I can't ping past that. I setup a allow ALL ICMP all on both the WAN and OPT firewall rules. What did I miss?

Pages: [1]