News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: monowall bad dsl speed performance  (Read 1441 times)
« on: February 28, 2013, 17:27:58 »
astra *

hello all together,

i recently upgraded my dsl speed to 50Mbits. now when i plug my computer directly into the modem i get 47mbits down and 8.5mbits upstream. behind the monowall it varries between 16-22mbits down and 2-6mbits upstream.
there is no traffic shaping active and i couldn´t find any option that i missed configuring the firewall. but admittedly i´m fairly new to monowall and i may have missed something.

anybody any ideas? help would much be appreciated. i couldn´t find any related topics if there are you can just link me to them.

here some technical data that might be important

monowall vers. 1.34
connection to modem via dhcp
protokoll ipv4
modem o2 box 6431
monowall runs on a wrap board @ 200mhz (25% max cpu usage)

tell me if you need any further data.

Thanks for you time.

Ps. english is not my native tongue so excuse my bad spelling
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 15:22:27 »
iridris ***

My guess is that your hardware is limiting you. Do you have any beefier hardware you can run m0n0wall on to test with and see if performance improves?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 20:51:44 »
astra *

hello,

i feel kind of embarrassed. yes i checked the performance on the ui, what i didn´t recognize at that time was that the graph  kept at max 25% no matter the traffic. it became obvious to me while testing performance with running a peer to peer client (for example ping times went through the roof).

sadly i don´t have any other hardware laying around. so i have to buy something new. i found some low energy alix embedded systems. they max out @ 500mhz. my question is will that suffice for the future use of monowall, especially with vectoring coming in the next 1-2 years or do you know any low energy alternatives.

thanks again.

astra.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 20:53:57 by astra »
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 21:30:48 »
Lennart Grahl ***

Have a look at this.

Edit: Low energy alternatives are probably Atom or equivalent AMD CPUs
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 22:07:42 by Lennart Grahl »

Pages: [1]