News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Per user bandwith for debug  (Read 998 times)
« on: August 14, 2013, 04:15:48 »
cmdias *

Loving the m0n0wall untill now. (might be replacing over 20 cisco rv180/220 series!!!!)

The only thing i still need to to do is to have a list of the LAN ip that are using the most Bandwidth (not for accounting or archiving... just to debug in case of abuse from one user that i must find)....

captive portal seems to allow me to do this bu it dont want to have to go through the first webpage to gain internet access... i also don’t have to enter all of my users mac addresses to allow them transparent access......

Any ideas or suggestions... or other  options i missed???

Thx for this great new toy!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 05:05:36 »
Lee Sharp *****

I love m0n0wall for this ability beyond any other firewall. (OK, pfSense can do it to)

Go to firewall states.  Click "Start New" to start a new baseline.  After a few seconds, click "View Delta."  You are not looking at all of the conversations for those few seconds.  (or minutes)  If you do not view the delta, it is just all the conversations that have not times out, so a long lived but slow connection could be artificially high.

Either way, you don't just see that Bob is hogging bandwidth, you see that Bob is hogging bandwidth to Pandora, and Last FM!  And Shelly is not far behind with gmail.

You get the point?  Very powerful, and extremely granular.  It also gives you the ability to just block Pandora for Bob and no one else.  When he comes to ask about it, you can have a quiet chat. Smiley

OK, I am a bofh... Smiley  I admit it.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 15:18:50 »
cmdias *

Thx that looks perfect for what i need!!!!  Grin

Will test this afternoon.... but i also like the captive portal data logging idea..... any thoughts on running it but completely transparent for users (no logon page, no allowed mac, no allowed IP... just plain transparent logging by any mac or ip address)Huh

Basically just dump bandwidh by user (traced via MAC or IP) to a file.....   if not i'm still very impressed with such a small software!!!!!

thx again!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 19:00:57 »
Lee Sharp *****

Actually, someone a long time ago did some work with a page that pulled your own mac address and used it as a user name.  The password was hard coded.  Then put all the known mac in the user accounts with the same password.  It was just a single disclaimer page with a "click to continue" but it actually passed the username and password.

A lot of work, however.

Pages: [1]