News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Why is m0n0wall based on FreeBSD 8.4?  (Read 1325 times)
« on: November 29, 2013, 03:20:23 »
azdps **

I just noticed recently that m0n0wall moved from FreeBSD 8.3 to FreeBSD 8.4. Could someone explain why m0n0wall is based on such an old FreeBSD version? Just wondering why it isn't based on FreeBSD 9 by now? I'm just curious, since I really don't have the slightest clue.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 20:30:05 »
Lee Sharp *****

Because porting everything takes time.  There is also a lag in freenas and nas4free, as well as pfSense.

Keep in mind that really the only reason to change major versions is driver support, and since m0n0wall is very light on resources, you do not really need the latest (and unsupported) motherboard.  Unlike the project above that can be much more heavily loaded...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 01:42:59 »
azdps **

Wasn't really sure if it was for security purposes. I was a little clueless.

Anyways, I'm having fun messing around with FreeBSD. I was attempting to build m0n0wall using FreeBSD 10 current source against current m0n0wall source. With modification, I was able to get to the 4th script build kernel (4buildkernel.sh), where things have slowed down a bit. I was trying to update some of the kernel patches to work with FreeBSD 10 source but there has been quite a bit of modification to some of the files. Anyways, I'm still working on it and it's turning out good so far.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:44:41 by azdps »

Pages: [1]