News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Generic IMG on Net5501 with CF Card Problem  (Read 7098 times)
« on: July 22, 2009, 16:58:37 »
Biggen *

I am having a bear of a time installing the latest generic img to my cf card.  I have followed the instructions exactly (doing it through Linux) and am unable to get the net5501 to boot so I am on my Windows Vista box and I think I am getting closer but still, no dice.  Here is the message after running physdiskwrite:

Code:
About to overwrite the contents of disk 1 with new data. Proceed (y/n) y
Found signed compressed image file
24576 bytes writtenWrite error after 24675 bytes (8192).

I then take the CF card, put it in the net5501 and it looks like it attempts to boot from the card as I get this:

Code:
No /boot/loader

>> FreeBSDi386Boot
Default: 0:ad(0.a)/kernel
boot:

Not really sure what to make of it.  Any ideas?  I think I need to just wipe the boot sector off my cf card and then start again, but I"m not sure how to do that. I was thinking this had to be simple but my mind is not able to wrap around it...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 17:04:06 by Biggen »
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 17:17:57 »
Fred Grayson *****

Could be the CF card is not compatible. Probably already considered this, but you are running physdiskwrite with Administrative rights, correct?

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 17:28:19 »
Biggen *

Could be the CF card is not compatible. Probably already considered this, but you are running physdiskwrite with Administrative rights, correct?

Well, it is the CF card I bought from Soekris when I bought the net5501.  It is a Sandisk Ultra 2GB.

Is there any way to wipe the boot sector and start completely over with the card?  I have reformated/paritioned it several times but that, I don't believe, touches the boot sector of the drive.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 19:07:26 »
Biggen *

Right now, I'm doing a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc"

That will write 0's to every part of the drive thus wiping out any boot sector/partition information.  That should allow me to start over.

Does it matter what partition type I use to partition the flash card? Fat 16, 32, ext 2, ext 3, etc??

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 20:02:21 »
Fred Grayson *****

The processes given in the install directions don't care what the current state of the disk is. They completely take over the whole drive and do all that is required for an install. There is no need to format the disk first, and it doesn't matter what the current state of the boot track is. It's all overwritten as needed during the install.

What version of physdiskwrite are you using? Specific versions are required.

--
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 20:35:20 »
Biggen *

The processes given in the install directions don't care what the current state of the disk is. They completely take over the whole drive and do all that is required for an install. There is no need to format the disk first, and it doesn't matter what the current state of the boot track is. It's all overwritten as needed during the install.

What version of physdiskwrite are you using? Specific versions are required.

Was using the latest physdiskwrite that is on the download page (0.5.1)  I'm doing it like this:

Code:
f:
physdiskwrite -u generic-pc-1.235.img

Yes, I am running it as Administrator.  I created a cmd.exe file on the desktop like the install document recommends.  I AM choosing the correct drive when physdiskwrite loads as well.  I'm getting ready to try it again.  If this doesn't work I guess I'll have to try another card as I don't know what else to do...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 22:03:31 »
Biggen *

My god, it worked!!

I used a linux live version and another computer (that had a CF card reader) and it worked.  I didn't do anything different other than change machine so I guess the other card reader I have doesn't work so good.

Now, I need to migrate the .xml config file from my old M0n0wall to my new M0n0wall.  I guess I just need to get one interface working that I can use to get to the webgui and it should be easy from there....
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 22:10:00 »
Fred Grayson *****

Glad you have it all sorted out.

--
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 12:21:13 »
Rico *

Hi I am newbie. I am using Windows Vista 64-bit. The card reader is built-in USB connection. I am running as Administrator.

I have searched the forum and found similar problems. All have the same issue writing img-file to CF-card:  "24576 bytes writtenWrite error after 24576 bytes (8192)."   Cry

Is there any other way or programs that can write a *.img-file to a CF-card?  Huh  I have a couple of Macs that I could use if somebody had a similar *.img-program to recommend. Any thoughts?

If not, I will have to dismount my card reader and connect it to an old Dell Win XP and try all over again  Angry

Thanks for any help.

Similar treads:
http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,2073.0.html#msg6586
http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,2792.0.html#msg8709
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:32:32 by Rico »
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 14:38:59 »
Rico *

Hi I am newbie. I am using Windows Vista 64-bit. The card reader is built-in USB connection. I am running as Administrator.

I have searched the forum and found similar problems. All have the same issue writing img-file to CF-card:  "24576 bytes writtenWrite error after 24576 bytes (8192)."   Cry

Is there any other way or programs that can write a *.img-file to a CF-card?  Huh  I have a couple of Macs that I could use if somebody had a similar *.img-program to recommend. Any thoughts?

If not, I will have to dismount my card reader and connect it to an old Dell Win XP and try all over again  Angry

Thanks for any help.

Similar treads:
http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,2073.0.html#msg6586
http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,2792.0.html#msg8709

An update: I used my old Dell Latitude with the USB multi card reader and it worked just fine!

PS: Dont ever buy Vista (espescially 64 bit version). Had nothing but trouble.

Pages: [1]